A Free Online Clean Energy Course For Renewable Energy Professionals.
Take this free course to gain a basic and deeper understanding of how to evaluate and communicate the financial implications for property owners to invest in geothermal, solar PV, or solar thermal projects. The course is completely online so you can do it from anywhere in the world and it is self paced so you can learn at your speed and when you have time available.
This FREE online course comes with a certificate of completion when you successfully finish the course content and quiz’s. You can use this as part of your resume when applying for jobs in the renewable energy industry or as a stepping stone to further education.
We start the course with understanding the basics of financial analysis.
You’ll learn how to perform discounted cash flow analysis, calculate net present value (NPV) of a project and how the discount rate will impact the NPV, as well as the internal rate of return (IRR). More importantly, we’ll discuss what these terms actually mean in plain english.
Then, we’ll discuss how to calculate the financial implications of specific technologies
We’ll cover the considerations that need to be taken into account that are technology-specific.
Here are the areas of renewable energy technology that will be covered by this FREE online clean energy course.
Learn the basics of financing a solar PV project, how SRECs and FITs work, and more.
Learn about available incentives and the calculations necessary to analyze the return on investment.
Compare the cost to deliver 1MMBTU with different heating sources, learn about O+M costs, and get the ins and outs of financing projects.
This Is A Self-Paced FREE Online Clean Energy Course
This is a self-study, self-paced online course. You can begin instantly upon enrollment and complete the course materials on your own pace.
Access Information and Build Your Training Library
After enrolling, the course materials will remain in your account and be accessible 12 months (1 year) after enrollment. Access can be extended beyond 1 year with a monthly membership. Return to your course anytime with online access from anywhere in the world.
Earn a Certificate of Completion
When you complete this course you are eligible for a certificate of completion from HeatSpring. You can download your certificate as soon as you have completed all of the course requirements. Students can easily share their verified certificates on their LinkedIn profiles using our one-click LinkedIn integration.
More about the course and the course outline.
- Basic Finance Terminology (Resource)
- “Choice of Discount Rates” – Whole LifeCost Forum (Resource)
- Internal Rate of Return (IRR) (Resource)
- Discounting Future Income and Present Value (Resource)
- Basic NPV and IRR Calculator (Download .xls)
Finance 101 For Solar PV
- “Finance 101 for Solar PV Professionals” from HeatSpring Magazine (Resource)
- The OPEN PV Project (Resource)
- “Cost and Performance Assumptions for Modeling Electricity Generation Technologies” – National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) (Resource)
- “Depreciation of Solar Energy Property in MACRS” – Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) (Resource)
- “How to Calculate the MACRS Depreciation Benefit of Going Solar” – Sunbridge Solar (Resource)
- Feed-In Tariffs – NREL (Resource)
- SREC Market Monitor – GTM Research (Resource)
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE) (Resource)
Finance 101 for Solar Thermal
- “Finance 101 for Solar Thermal Professionals” from HeatSpring Magazine (Resource)
Finance 101 For Geothermal
- “Finance 101 for Geothermal Professionals” from HeatSpring Magazine (Resource)
- “Selling Geothermal as a Hedge Against Rising Energy Prices” – HeatSpring Magazine (Resource)
- Equivalent Energy Cost Comparison of Conventional Energy Sources with Geothermal Heat Pumps (Download .xlsx)
- “Comparative Analysis of the Life Cycle Costs of Geothermal Heat Pumps and Three Conventional HVAC Systems for an Elementary School in Lincoln, Nebraska” (Resource)
- Ground Source Heat Pump Performance Survey by Dr. Steve Kavanaugh (Download .xlsx)
After The Course – Feedback and Additional Resources
- Introduction to HeatSpring (1 minute) (Video)
- Join the Alumni Network: Add education to your LinkedIn profile in one click (Resource)
- Feedback: 2-minute Exit Survey (Survey)
- Certificate of Completion: Request a Certificate (Certificate)
About the Instructor:
Chris Williams is from Faze1. Faze1 helps HVAC and solar companies laser focus their marketing by using big data to target homeowners based on their heating and solar characteristics. Go to Faze1 (http://www.faze-1.com) to put their data to work for you for free with free custom analysis of your service territory. Chris has worked with HeatSpring, Nexamp, Ground Energy Support, and on lobbying for renewable thermal legislation in Massachusetts.